Monday, January 23, 2017

Bonus kids

So, earlier today, while Sophie and I were on one of our multiple walks, I was running some things around my brain, trying to come up with some things to write about.  I really do want to get more of my thoughts down on, well, not paper I guess but, ummm here.  You know what I mean.

And I thought about Bonus kids.

Over the course of last year I wrote about some of Caitlin's besties; Melissa, Sarah, Megan, Ashley and Dalmy.  I wrote about how important they were to me and how much I enjoyed seeing and/or chatting and/or texting and/or whatever other form of communicating we've done over the last ten or so years.

I used the phrase "bonus kids" with them at Megan's wedding last summer.  But, truth be told, these girls aren't my original "bonus kid".

Kevin and I have worked together probably four or five years, although not for the last few.  We always had a lot of fun when we worked together, and if things worked out I'd take him back on my shift in a heartbeat.  He's one of the best dudes I know, for so many reasons.  Some of which will become evident soon.

But he's not the bonus kid I'm referring to.

My first bonus kid is Kevin's wife, Courtney.

And she's a keeper.

In all honesty, I don't remember how, exactly, she got this status.  But let me tell you just a little bit about her.  In no particular order she is; among the most AMAZING bakers on the planet.  I believe I've mentioned RVCB's (Red Velvet Cake Balls) here?


You'll notice some are already missing in this picture.  That's because there is no known photograph of a full plate of RVCB's.  They are every bit as wonderful as they sound.  They come from Court, along with numerous, unprompted deliveries of homemade chocolate chip cookies so deliriously tasty I could probably be coerced into felonious activity to obtain them.  Crack?  Hah!  I laugh at you.  Courtney's baking is every bit as addictive.

Sorry (not sorry) I got a little carried away there but her baked goods will do that to me.

Court is also one of the first people to encourage me to do this blog.  I was at least a little inspired by reading one she used to do.  And she kept me afloat in constructive criticism for the first several months, to keep me on the write (sorry, couldn't help it) track.  As a former English professor I valued her assessment of my work.

But those qualities don't come close to describing who she is.

Let me try this.  Kevin and Courtney have five kids.  Three of the kids have some type of special needs.  To say that adds an element of challenge to an already hectic life is, perhaps, the ultimate understatement.  And they take on this challenge unwaveringly and they handle it remarkably well.  And without complaint.

Me?  I whine about people not knowing how to load a dishwasher.

Perhaps my favorite part of what makes Courtney Courtney is this.  She's currently in the midst of a fundraising campaign to help OTHER people's kids.  That's right.  This particular fundraiser will do nothing (other than setting a sterling example of how to adult) to help her own children, but instead will raise money to aid pediatric cancer patients.  For the second year in a row.

I'm adding a link to her fundraising page here and I'd like to encourage you to help Courtney help kids with cancer.  I will tell you here and now, and I'm sure she'd echo this if you asked her, NO amount is too small.  If you can give $5.00 or $500.00 either will be graciously accepted.  Having done W5kfC for ten years I can tell you first hand how hard it is to raise money.  It's incredibly difficult to be the one with a hand out looking for donations, no matter the cause.  So I know how hard she's working for this.  She is, I believe, in the process of raising her goal since she just reached the initial one last week.  Hopefully some of you can throw a few extra bucks her way and help reach a new goal.

Let's do some good, shall we?

Peace

2 comments:

  1. I, of course, have your blog bookmarked. But for the record? I also bookmarked the direct link to this entry.

    You'll never know how much this means to me. Truly.

    Love you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete