Thursday, November 10, 2016

The girls volume V

Well, on the heels of all the excitement over the last week, what with the Cubs winning the World Series and... what the heck... it seems like there was something else... Oh yeah, the end of civilization as we know it (just kidding) I almost overlooked the 5th and final episode of everyone's favorite serial blog post.

This is quite ironic actually.

Because today, in addition to being Dalmy's birthday (YAAY Dalmy!) it's also MY birthday.  We've exchanged texts both yesterday and today and acknowledged each other on social media today.  And as I sat here, thanking those that have sent a post of kindness to my page, I realized that I have yet to pay tribute to one of my favorite people on the planet.

From Mel to Sarah to Meg to Ashley with a chaser of Megan's wedding we have shared many laughs and more than a few tears as we think back on how we've come to this point in our lives.  I've said it before and I'll say it again and again until the day I die, I love each of these girls like they're my own flesh and blood.

But now, it's Dalmy's turn.

As with the rest of the girls, I don't remember the first time I met her, but also as with the rest of the girls, I can't imagine her not being around.  I do, however, remember her Mom's homemade tamales.

Oh. Good. Lord.

They were ambrosia in a corn husk.

Excuse me for a few minutes while I get my taste buds back in line.

Ok, I'm back.

I've probably seen more of Dalmy since Diane died than I have any of the other girls.  She was, for more than a little while, at the advent of the smartphone era, my personal technology consultant (whether she knew it or not, lol) and I remember more than one frantic call or text to her wondering how I did something to my phone and asking how I could undo it.  She shepherded me through the whole process with the patience of a caregiver steering a doddering old man (a more accurate analogy than I care to admit) to the dining hall of the senior center.  And the pirate and I went to dinner with Dalmy and John (with an "H") before they got married.  We had a really nice time too.  Plus I seem to recall being at her townhouse when she got Lucien too.

I think, however, my favorite Dalmy memory (with bonus Megan props too!) is probably this...

The Christmas after Diane died, Dalmy and Megan made HUGE holiday greeting cards for the Boy Child and I.

I mean, physically huge.

Like Early Ed art project paper big.

All handmade, with a festive coffee cup filled with candy and a bracelet that had each of their names on it.  They were really very sweet (and I felt horrible when the bracelet finally fell apart).  It put a smile on my face and in my heart at a time when I needed it most.  See, that's the thing about these girls.  They always seem to know when I need an emotional lift.  And when it comes to them, all it takes is a text, phone call or social media post to get my spirit right.

Since I'm in the high-rise district today, I want to wrap this literary treasure up.  So I'll close simply by saying this.

Happy, happy birthday Dalmy!  I love you!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment