Sunday, January 22, 2017

V.A.C.A.T.I.O.N.

Ok, maybe that should be "staycation" since I'm not going anywhere.

potato, potatoe

I'm off of the next two shifts, three of the next four, and it was time.  I love my job, don't get me wrong, but I've been there a lot, especially over the last couple weeks.  I did, due to a trade and an overtime shift, 24 on and 24 off for eight days straight.  That's no fun.  It wiped me out more so than any 48 I've ever worked.  It usually takes me at least one day to get my sleep back to some semblance of normal after I get home from work, so, since I was working every other day that didn't happen.

I know, poor me, right?

I'm not bitching about it per se, since it was by my own doing.  I'm just saying it was time for some time off.  I found myself picking nits at work.  Getting aggravated by stupid, little stuff that I typically would let slide.

For instance.

Our dishwasher has a silverware holder along the right hand side of the bottom tray.  It goes from front to back on that side and consists of about a half dozen smaller compartments.  We usually run the dishwasher twice a day, after lunch and again after dinner.  Now, I didn't do a hard count, so the numbers I'm going to throw out here are only an approximation for the purpose of illustrating my point.  But this... oh... census, for lack of a better term, is a reasonable representation of the silverware holder.

First slot - 193 forks, 85 spoons, 64 knives.
Second slot - 76 forks, 44 spoons, 23 knives.
Third slot - 4 forks, 2 spoons, 1 peeler.
Fourth slot - 2 forks.
Fifth slot - nothing.
Sixth slot - nothing.

Insert Joel's aggravated face >here<

Now, to be clear, since I worked on each shift, this phenomenon is not exclusive to my shift.  But I did get a little tired of rearranging the silverware every. frickin. day.  And, to be fair, I do tend to rearrange the dishwasher anyway.  I don't know why, I guess it's selective OCD or something.  Btw, those numbers MAY be SLIGHTLY exaggerated.  Possibly.

I also jumped pretty hard on Shawn for something that I probably could've let slide.  My Lt. is the guy that's responsible for, among other things, our EMS reports.  Making sure they're done correctly, submitted properly, etc.  Well, one of Shawn's had an issue, I don't recall exactly what.  Didn't get posted or was showing as incomplete or some such thing.  We were standing in the BC's office and Bob asked one of Shawn's partners (who happened to be there also) to have him call the office so they could figure out what needed to be done to tidy up that small mess.  Several minutes passed between Wes telling him to call the boss and Shawn making the call.  Maybe five.  Maybe more.  The phone rang and, on speakerphone Bob and the BC talked to Shawn about the issue.  While I stood by listening.  And getting aggravated.

When business was done, before they hung up, I asked Shawn how long ago he got the message to call.  When his reply came back as I expected it to be, I launched into an expletive-laced tirade explaining to him, in no uncertain terms, that when he is asked to call the Battalion Chief, in the future, he would be wise to call him right away and not several minutes later.

Now the message was certainly correct, but the delivery was unnecessarily harsh, even for Shawn.  So, ALF*, my bad.  Still, call the Chief right away next time.  Also, fwiw, that was quite short of my personal record for "f-bombs" just so you know.  In case you've got goals or anything.

The things you learn at the coffeehouse...

Typically when I'm here, I've got my ear buds in, listening to sports talk or music.  Today, it's Tedeschi Trucks Band blaring away whilst I write.  But, during a long segue between songs I heard from the table next to me -

"So, next time you need stitches, just use Superglue instead."

Not a single disparaging word was uttered by me.

Is Christian Goth a thing?

Asking for a friend...

This time off thing is working already!

Peace

PS - *Awkward Little Fellow is a name Shawn got from one of our local psych patients.  just thought I'd put that out there...

Again,

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment