Monday, July 20, 2015

Yaay, it's Laundry Day!

Here we (that's the royal we, I'm actually sitting by myself) are, in the lobby of our home for the next four nights in beautiful Champaign, Illinois.  It's 10:00, we just got back from dinner (I highly recommend Black Dog Smoke and Ale House) and I just started my laundry.

This actually qualifies as a laundry emergency, since I used my last clean pair of socks, clean t-shirt and clean boxers (successfully installed again I might add) today (I guess there's no "might", I did literally add that) and if I don't do laundry tonight, well, let's just say tomorrow might take an ugly turn.

I think I'm being interviewed in the morning by the local morning news gig about why the Tour is in town.  So, you see, clean shorts (and boxers) and shirts are kind of an essential part of my morning.  Plus we're meeting the Village Council and Mayor tomorrow so... while I might be able to get away with that in DG, my plan is to wear pants that don't smell like feet.

Always thinking about others, that's me.

As I write this, Sean is trying to teach Don the wonders of his smart phone.  I really am trying hard not to eavesdrop, they're far enough away from me that I can't hear them but I know that's what Sean is trying to do.  Don is not what I would describe as "tech-savvy"  and I don't say that to slam him, I genuinely love Don.  I think it's a generational thing.  He's got me by quite a few years and while technology is not always my friend, I don't think Don has ever made it's acquaintance.  

This was a day of teaching, as it turns out.  Dave, if you're reading this, close your eyes...

We finished up our day and as we were getting ready to drive to our hotel, the kid asked if he could drive the engine around the parking lot.  If you had seen the look on his face, the pleading "I promise I'll never ask for another present if you just get me this" expression, well, you would have caved too.  I yelled at him that he'd better not hit anything and Ray took him for a tour of the (unoccupied except by us) parking lot.  He had to make a three point turn to et started and he reminded Sean and I of a 90 year-old man trying to back his car out of a parking place at the mall.  Three points devolved into 14 or 15 but he didn't hit anything and that's all that matters.  The grin on his face as he came around the corner towards Sean and I was a megawatt gleam that could probably guide ships at sea.  


It made his day (a plus) but now he's convinced he's an expert (a negative, he's not, sorry to break it to you kid) apparatus driver.

Ok Dave, you can open your eyes again.

Today was one of those days that got thrown together pretty last minute, but ended up surprisingly good.  Through the fault of no one in particular, this stop kind of fell through the cracks locally until a few days ago.  We were in Bartlett when I got a call from the President of Bloomington Local 49 asking me what we needed and what we usually do and how do we do it.  I met John last spring at the AFFI Legislative Conference through a mutual friend and I liked him right from the start.  Today just confirmed for me on a couple different levels what a good dude he is.  

John got us parked in front of the local Kroger store for a few hours, set up two home visits and got us to the local Cancer Center for three hours.  All in about two days.  As far as the other level, well, some things just need to stay where they are and not see the light of day.  

But John is a standup guy.

Long, busy day tomorrow, including a last minute, surprise work visit.  I got a call from a friend from DG while we were waiting to be seated at the restaurant tonight.  Melissa grew up down this way and asked me if we could do this for a friend of her bestie.  

Well, of course we can.  

I told her to give her friend my number and we'd work out the details.  Done deal.  We all know the best part of what we do is the home/work visits and we'll do them every chance we get.  Especially when they're surprise visits.  

We drove by the location we'll be visiting on the way back from dinner and sized up what we can do, we're gonna rock this one out of the park.  

Is that mixing metaphors?  I feel like it is, but it feels kind of ok too.  

Hmmm.

Sigh.  Time to go fold my laundry.  

I miss having people do that for me 

Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment