Sunday, July 12, 2015

Summertime

Ok, here's the thing.  When I commented on the hotel in South Bend, I was operating under the assumption they comped our rooms, so I kind of soft pedaled the conditions there.

I was wrong.

Talking to Dave on the way for coffee yesterday morning he told me they charged us $79 per room for the night.  True, that was a deep discount (Yikes) these rooms were not worthy of what they charge.  I can't even comprehend how much they soak people when the Local collegiate football team is playing a home game.  

As we pulled into the parking lot, I thought it looked like a pretty nice place.  And it was. Until  we went to the portion of the property where our rooms were.  The further we walked form the lobby, the more the conditions deteriorated.  

And we walked a loooonnnnggg way to our rooms.  No bullet holes, no chalk outlines, but holy moley, what a difference between the (slight exaggeration alert) elegant entrance and the (slight exaggeration alert) trailer park we stayed in. The first room I walked in to still had a "Do Not Disturb" tag hanging on the door.  No problem, right? That happens sometimes.  In my times spent in hotels I've watched housekeeping staff do their thing and almost always they have a list of rooms that have been vacated.  Apparently this fine establishment has never discovered that concept because the room hadn't been touched.  One bed had been tossed, there were multiple (multiple?) bags (yes, multiple) of garbage and empty booze bottles.  We called the front desk and they gave me a different room in the (of course)  same section.  At least this one had been visited by housekeeping.  I think.  I kind of take for granted that hotels have cable TV and many channels from which to choose.  Silly me.  Why is it that when you have 20 or so total channels four of them are home shopping channels?  Who looks at that and says "Yes, I think that will satisfy our customer base"?  Did I mention the black mold growing in my shower?  No?  Oh yes, a lovely little bit of flora over my head just to make me feel like I was in a truly natural state.  That's not one of Indiana's state slogans btw.  Somebody has it but, I don't remember who.  

Probably a far more sophisticated state.  Arkansas maybe.

So, I've spoken here in the past about the problems with touring in my part of the country, the follow ups happen far more frequently and the sad news always seems to outweigh the good.  But here's a bit of the good, because I'm nothing of not a slice of Mr. Positive meets Little Mary Sunshine.

Jerry and Eden brought the kids to see Vin and I last night at our event in Shorewood.  Vin and I were partners for 8 years, more than I worked with any one person in my time at the FD.  Jerry (and Kevin) are both in the 2 spot with 6 years as partners.  I actually met Eden first, she used to work at GSH, but I've known these two for awhile now and they rate among my favorite people on the planet.  And their kids are just heart melters.

Two quick stories before I wrap this mother up.  

For the longest time G was really shy around me, even though Eden brought the kids to the firehouse from the start and I've always been "Uncle" Joel to them.  But she started to warm up a few years ago and now usually greets me with a huge smile and an even bigger hug. So when she ran up to my with her arms up and her face all lit up, well, how can that not make you smile?  A little later on I was walking over to checkout something the J-town chapter was doing and I saw the kids had gotten their faces painted.  O had a Batman mask painted on his face.  

I said "Hi Batman" and put my hand up for a high five.

He said "I'm not Batman, I'm O and I had my face painted"

A literal LOL moment.

So since it's Sunday and, at least in theory, summertime, I thought I send you out this way.

I'm a sucker for Harriet Wheeler's voice and the pop sensibilities of the band.

Sue me.  If you don't like it, write your own blog.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment