Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Bartlett is a wonderful town

Ok, Yesterday was kind of a weak effort on my part.  It was late, nothing great happened and I hadn't posted the day before so I figured I'd better throw some kind of slop out there.

And that's exactly what I produced...

So let's kick this one off with a bang.

I put my boxers on backwards Monday.

That got your attention, didn't it?

I'm rarely shy about poking fun at stupid things other people do, so it's only fair that I take shots at myself when I qualify.  And I did just that with my own personal wardrobe malfunction.

Also?  That's not the first time I've done that...  I didn't realize it (duh, nobody intentionally wears their boxers backwards) at the time, and the only way you discover something like that comes about when you have to, well, uhhh, you know... use the facilities.  This results in, for the uninitiated, in an awkward moment standing at the urinal.  Your reach in for something that you know is there and should be within easy reach and... there's no there there, so to speak.  I mean, the fly portion of the boxers is supposed to be right there in the front for easy access to your business.  And when the boxers are in an other than optimum position, well, you end up grabbing fabric.  This complicates things, at least momentarily, and results in a lot more finagling than a man usually has to go through at your standard urinal (why on earth does "urinal" autocorrect to "unreal"?) and the extra maneuvering involved in a situation like this occasionally draws sideways glances from one's neighbors. 

Well then.

Today was the third year in a row we made a stop in Bartlett and my guy, Stevie B. and his guys put together a really stellar day for us.  They made us out to be kind of a big deal and did a great job spreading the word around town.  We had maybe eight or ten people come up to say hi and /or take pictures with us because they'd seen us in the years past and wanted to see us again.  

This, btw, is awesome.

Dave and I talked about how great it was to see so many members of the FD there helping out and I can only attribute it to a strong working relationship between the firefighters union and the FD administration (looking in your general direction DG) because the Chiefs were all there too.  And they fully support what the guys in the local are trying to build in the community.  I don't know if Steve picked up on what Dave is trying to evolve Pink Heals into, but he's got the town headed in that direction, whether he realizes it or not.  Getting the local merchants on board with supporting their goal of helping the community is a big part of what Bartlett is doing and it showed today.  

Plus today was good because it had a little taste of the "Joel's Pink Heals Homecoming Portion of the Tour" too.  I've known the Chief, Mike Falese, for almost 25 years and I have a lot of respect for him, one of the company officers I've known since high school (Jesus that was a long time ago Jeff) and I saw the husband of one of my nieces (Morgan, I warned him he'd better know your size...) so that's always nice.

The not so nice part came when one of the afore mentioned return visitors told me she had just had a biopsy done this morning and was waiting to hear the results.  

Please keep a positive thought for her if you're so inclined.  Or even if you're not.  Send her a little positivity anyway because it's the right thing to do.

We added two drivers today, Sean from AZ and Ray from IN, so I'm only going to say nice things (snark alert) about those two states from here on out.  

Probably. 

But they both seem like good guys.

Oh bonus!!!  I had been telling Dave a few days ago I had hoped one of our events would have a massage chair booth because my back and neck have been bothering me lately.  Mid event he walked up to me and told me to come with him.  We walked about 50 feet, stopped, and he told me to turn to my right...

A MASSAGE CHAIR!!!

One of the local chiropractors had set up shop at the event for the day and he hooked me up.  Thanks Doc, you were awesome.  You too Dave.

Uhhhhhhh what else???

Oh yeah, I talked to Tommy P. today and I promised him one last Vinnie story.  So here goes.

One of the guys we met while he was out with us had, shall we say, a penchant for going in to great detail as he gave us a tour of the area where we met him.  It wasn't so much that he had a fondness for big words (that would be me) but more that he would take, for example, 15 minutes to describe something that most would find needed no more than two of three minutes.  

This does not generally go with with the Great Vincenzo.  Although I had to admit the guy, while very nice and completely genuine, kind of got on my nerves a little too.  

So because of this man's ability to irritate Vin, I did everything I could to make sure he rode with Vinnie if we went somewhere and that he sat very near to him if we went out to eat.

Hey somebody's got to keep him in check, right?

Ok, I feel a little bit better about this one.

And always remember, Chicks still dig Vin.

Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment