Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Champaign. I think...

I have to say right up front, we've all been really impressed with the reception we've recieved to this point in central Illinois.   Two days in and both days have been filled with warm, welcoming people, support from the local FD's and firefighters and various local support groups.  And some great visits.

Like this one.

I mentioned it briefly in my last post, while waiting for a table for dinner at Black Dog Smoke and Ale House I got a text from my friend Melissa back in DG.  She asked if I could do her a favor.  Gladly, I told her, but I'm downstate.  She said that actually plays in to the favor.  As it turns out, Melissa's best friend Kelly is a charge nurse in the ED at Carle down here in CU (localspeak for Champaign Urbana) and a dear friend and coworker of Kelly's, Sarah, just finished with Chemo for breast cancer.  Could we do a work visit for her?  

Well, who am I to say no?

I asked Melissa to give my number to Kelly, Kelly called me, and before we were seated at our table (the wait was a bit on the long side, but still) we had a surprise work visit set up to honor Sarah and Kelly started working on getting us in to the Carle Cancer Center, something the FD tried to do, but got stonewalled on.  That's not uncommon btw.  And in no way a reflection on the efforts of the Champaign FD, Chief Ludwig is a huge supporter of Pink Heals, having spent seven years at Memphis FD and seeing what Todd Conklin does over there.  And we really were impressed with the support the guys on shift gave us today. 

But back to the visit.  

We explained the scenario, how it came to be, to Chief Ludwig at our morning meeting with the FD and he allowed two on duty companies, an engine and a ladder, to come with us for the visit.  Kelly took care of EVERY. THING.  The woman is a force!  Security had cleared spots for us by the ambulance bay, she even got a construction crew to delay pouring concrete for an hour and a half so we could pull this off.  

That's no small feat.

We pulled up to find around 50-60 friends and supporters of Sarah's waiting for us.  As we got everyone in place, Kelly went in to find Sarah and this (sorry, I couldn't get rid of the ad) is a small sample of how it went.  Great visit!  Kelly, you rock!  Melissa, thanks so much for connecting us!

But that's not how the day started.

WCIA (either a hat tip the to Central Illinois Area or the worst example of a "secret" government agency conducting a covert operation) brought a crew (slogan, "Watch us.  Because we're watching you") to do a couple live spots on the local TV morning show.  The reporter, Jasmine Anderson, did a really nice job, asked relevant questions, and after we finished wrote a very touching note to her grandmother on our vehicles.

The remainder of the day involved a few different stops, a little back and forth across town, and ended with all of us attending the Village Council meeting.  The Mayor presented us with a Proclamation naming yesterday "Pink Heals Initiative Day" in Champaign.  A really nice thing.  She handed me the microphone to say a few words (I know, a few words? From Me?) and as I started in to mention how great our reception was, I got a little rambley (Me? Ramble? With a mic in my hand? Huh.) and proceeded to tell everyone there and watching on local cable access how great I thought Springfield would do with their own chapter.

Do you see the slight problem there?

I'm thanking the Village Council and assorted members of the community including about a dozen members of the FD and the Fire Chief that Springfield is a wonderful town.  

While standing in Champaign.

D'OH!!!

Everyone there was very gracious, thankfully, although the rest of the night young Michael kept throwing Springfield at me.  

Rotten kid.

Not really.

I mean, yes, he kept throwing it at me, but he's not really rotten.  

Maybe a jerk.

But not rotten.

I think.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment