Thursday, July 9, 2015

Near Miss...


Excuse the cheap literary ploy, but it IS sort of true.  Last night I realized I had no more clean shorts.  I went down to the front desk to ask if there was a guest laundry on the property.  There was not, I was told.  The desk clerk did, however, say that if I called housekeeping, they could make arrangements to get my laundry done.  So I went back to my room, called housekeeping (via the front desk I might add) and found out all I needed to do was bring my clothes to the front desk (theme alert!) and they'd handle it.  The turnaround time would be about an hour, but he didn't know the cost.  So, I dutifully packed up my dirty laundry, went BACK down to the front desk and left what, I'm fairly certain, was the foulest little bundle the young lady at the front desk had handled in quite some time.  

"How much does this cost?" I asked.

"I'm not sure, but my supervisor comes in at 9:00 AM (this was about 10:00 last night) and she can let you know."

Golly gee this was so easy!

I got up early this morning, and was sitting downstairs having a cup of coffee with Vinnie and I told him about my laundry adventure.  I decided to go ask the lady now at the front desk if she knew the cost.

She pulled out a binder from behind the desk (apparently last night's clerk couldn't be bothered) flipped through a couple pages and told me it would be about $35.00

For my laundry.

I asked for my bag of nasty, found a laundromat five miles away and $5.50 later I had clean clothes.

Moving right along...

I really felt bad for Tawny, Chrissy and Jessica today.  They were the ones primarily responsible for setting up yesterday and today's events.  And after spending ten years working on W5kfC, I have an appreciation for how hard it is to pull off a successful fundraiser.  These girls worked their butts off, Tawny working from 1,000 miles (shameless self-promotion alert!) away in LA.  Yes, Tawny now lives in Orange Beach, AL having moved there from OH (IO) a few years ago.  Regular readers of this wonderful piece of literary gymnastics may recall a tour driver named (shameless self-promotion in 3...2...1...) Eddie Mac who also hails from LA and, of course, they know each other.  Shout out to my guy Eddie!!!  I love you buddy, hope to see you soon.

Now, where was I?

Oh yeah, the weather the last two days sucked.  That's a little known meteorological term btw.  Sucked.  For real.  As in "The isobars are packed tight and that will create conditions that, tomorrow we'll look back and say 'well, THAT weather certainly sucked'" followed closely by a short "vacation" for the weather person that uttered the line.

It rained almost nonstop today, a day that included two home visits and what was intended to be a fun day of outdoor activities at a small private park for Amy and her family and friends and anyone that wanted to come out and support her.  The weather really suppressed attendance.  But a good time was still had by all.  It even featured an emotional Vincenzo as he presented flowers to Amy.  He likes to play the big tough guy, but he's an old softie and I, for one, am only too happy to show that side of him.

Love you, my friend!

As of now, tomorrow (Friday, I may time this to publish in the morning vs tonight) looks to be a pretty easy travel day.  When I came upstairs, Dave was trying to make plans for a stay in South Bend, IN (home of an institution of higher learning that holds no particular charm for me) but if that falls through we'll drive to Joliet.  Either way a pretty laid back day.  Our next event isn't until Saturday evening, so hijinks may ensue.

Stay tuned faithful readers...

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment