Sunday, July 26, 2015

Homeward bound

No subtlety, no snark, I'm officially a quitter. 

I'm heading north out of Indy, riding the rails. I'd probably have Steve Goodman's "City of New Orleans" rolling through my brain, but Gary Clark Jr. is pushing every other musical choice out of the way. If you're not familiar, I highly recommend him. 

I always thought O'Hare was the best place ever to people watch. It may still be, but I promise you, the train station in downtown Indianapolis gives it a run for the money. 

Very ummmm interesting clientele there. 

To say the least. 

Amtrak made a lot of sense for the return trip. It's about a quarter of the cost to fly back and will only add a couple hours to the trip compared to flying. The cheapest airfare included a layover in Detroit. 

Like I said, no brainer. 

And the best part?  Regular readers will no doubt remember the type of person that usually sits next to me when I travel. 

You do remember, right?  

You don't?

C'mon. Think for a second. 

Think Washington DC trip.   

Yes!

Except, this time it's a rather ample woman. With her own 32 oz fountain beverage (diet, I'm sure) and a gleaming new copy of Life magazine "The Most Notorious Scandals in American History "

How can that not be riveting?

Also?  She appears to be blissfully unaware of the auto-dim feature on her smartphone as she's illuminating half of the train car. 

On the plus side, at least she seems pleasant enough. I just caught a glimpse of a woman that looks like she failed her screen test for "Orange is the New Black" but liked the look and decided to rock it all out. All 350 pounds of her. 

I find the Side Show Bob hairstyle compliments her look perfectly. 

I'm not gonna lie, she scares me a little. 

And by "a little" I mean given the option to walk past her to go to the dining car I'd rather walk through the worst neighborhood of the most crime-ridden city you can think of. 

At midnight. 

With hundreds hanging out of my pockets. 

Pulling a neon sign that says "I'm a pacifist"

However, having said that, the urge for caffeine is strong. I think I'm going to go for it. 

If my family finds this draft, please post it for me.  

Moving right along...

Yesterday, if you haven't figured that out already, marked the end of this year's adventures in Pink Heals Touring.  Which is always a bittersweet time imho.  I really do enjoy being out on a road trip with the guys, how could you not?  I haven't met a bad one yet (full disclosure, in my time on the road there have been a couple I wouldn't choose to socialize with but it's a really small number) and most are just outstanding (truth!) human beings that I wish I saw more of.  

It's always good to go (be) home.  Especially when you get a reception like this...




Ok, since I'm not even sure the video is going to work, it may not even make the final cut which also means this might not make any sense.  

So let's just say my little (she's not really little) poochie was happy to see me after three weeks.  Tip of the hat to the Oldest One and the Heir to the Throne for taking such good care of her, they always do, and also to one of the neighbors who spoils her rotten when Sophie visits.  It's the kind of love and attention you just can't get when you have to board your animals and no matter how good a place it may be, there's no substitute for an actual home.    

Alright, now that I'm completely off track, let me just wrap up by saying thanks to everyone for everything, especially the people I met for the first time out on tour, the people with whom I renewed an acquaintance with for the last three weeks, the people we visited (every one of you changed our lives whether you realize it or not), my family for putting up with this nonsense every year and last, but certainly not least to the guys I traveled with this time around.   Vin, Rodman, Don, Ray, Mikey, Sean, (Geez I feel like I missed someone) and, of course, Dave.  You guys all helped to make three weeks of mayhem out on the road in to something none of us will forget soon and I'm grateful to each of you for the gifts you brought out on tour.

Thanks brothers.

Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment