Sunday, March 16, 2014

Dipping my toe back in the water. Or something

Let's knock the dust off this thing, shall we?

As I write this, I'm climbing out of Chicago (technically the 757 I'm a passenger in is doing the climbing but let's not pick nits) on my way to Washington, D.C. for an annual Legislative Conference for my union. 

What say we look at some of the pros and cons of travel...

Pro- I'm traveling half-way across the country (props to the pirate for the hook-up) at a speed approaching that which creates sonic booms. Truly remarkable when you think about it. Two generations ago this would've been unheard of, the stuff of science fiction. Heck in many parts of the world today this is something people can only dream of.  Plus I'm listening to a selection of music from my personal electronic device (a brand new Apple iPhone 5c that is absolutely amazing in case anyone from the marketing department in Cupertino stumbles across this) and preparing to be served (I'd be more than happy to announce Apple as the official personal electronics provider of I Can Relate To Ducks) a complimentary beverage. 

Pretty sweet deal, if you think about it. 

And yet...

Con- I'm seated next to (wait, take a guess. YES! A large man!) He has, from the start, over-flowed into, roughly, one quarter to one third of my personal space. And even better? The first thing I heard from him, as the flight attendant asked him to pick his rather ample bottom up and off the exit row instruction sheet he planted himself on included an F bomb in her general direction. He apologized for his "French" but the die had been cast. 

I'm glad I can't smell cause I'm guessing his hygiene isn't spectacular...

Pro- travel to this point has been totally smooth. That's not always the case flying standby. Traffic was light on the drive in. I found a spot quickly in the cheapo long term parking lot. The shuttle bus pulled up less than a minute after I walked to the pick up point. Straight to the train. Checked my bag quickly. Got the TSA Pre-Chek again (YES!) walked to the gate and they had already started boarding. I was on the property less than an hour before we were aloft. 

Pretty sweet. 

Con- I got up at 4:00 AM to accomplish this. 

After having gone to bed at 12:45 AM. 

*Yawn*

In the grand scheme of things these are not really worth whining over. Of course, that's NOT going to stop me from whining about them. 

But still

Perspective, you know?

I feel as though I've been away from here too long.  I have things to say.  Whether anyone wants to hear that or not remains to be seen.  

Like for instance Mr. Head Bob sitting next to me. Will he drool on his own chest or not? 

My money is on "yes"






No comments:

Post a Comment