Thursday, August 1, 2013

Cheez Whiz and Dr. Pepper

Let me just start by saying- I think everyone that's ever been on tour with John Rhyne is pretty fond of him.  I know I am.  Just looking at him makes me smile, and he often says or does things that make me literally lol.  And he is often the willing butt of jokes.  He laughs right along with us.

I was genuinely sad as I drove him to the airport this morning so he could fly home.  I will miss hanging out with John every single day I'm out here.

So let me tell you about today...

Early this morning, as John was putting the finishing touches on his packing, he asked me what he should do with his beloved Dr. Pepper.  I suggested he put it in a bag he would check since there are restrictions on what liquids you can carry on.

We went down to the business center to print out John's boarding pass, to facilitate his time at the airport.  The pirate emailed him the info last night.

He couldn't find her email.

I went to the airline website and typed in his confirmation number and printed out his pass.  We left for ORD.

As we were taking his bags out of the back of the car, he said, in his unmistakable drawl

"Ah cain't fahnd mah payass"

"What do you mean you can't find it? What'd you do with it?"

"Ah thank ah left it at the hoe-tayall"

Sigh

No biggie, we went in and printed a new pass at the kiosk and headed off to see TSA

As we put our stuff on the conveyor, I noticed John was still wearing his belt.  His belt with six big, metallic "OU" logos on it.  I reminded him to take his belt off.  John got in to the sniffer a couple people ahead of me.  And, as I stepped into the machine, I saw a TSA agent directing John off to the side.  She applied some kind of swab to his hands, I'm not sure why, but she finished and cleared him pretty quickly.  As I waited for my stuff to come through the xray machine, I noticed a different TSA agent holding a backpack and asking who it belonged to.

Three guesses...

First two don't count...

"John, I think this guy would like to speak to you"

As the agent went through John's backpack, looking for contraband (and, shockingly, finding it) for a description of what he found, I would refer you to the title of this little gem... and the picture below...


Yup, that's two bottles of Dr. Pepper and a can of Cheez Whiz.  I don't remember what the other illicit snack was...

But you get the idea.

Here's John, heading back to Oklahoma.  See you buddy, hope you enjoyed your Chicago-style hot dog.  Deep dish pizza next time for sure.  I promise.  

So after John left, we went downtown for a little "Guerrilla Marketing"

Here you see "Leslie" in front of Navy Pier with a backdrop of the Hancock building, Lake Pointe Towers and the W Hotel.  I don't know how anybody gets anything done downtown on a day like today.  Blue skies, mid 70's temperatures, just an amazing day in Chicago.  We hung out at the Pier for an hour (really closer to two but since we were asked to stay an hour, well, you know) and then went to Pearson Street, just east of Michigan Avenue. 



We parked right across the street from Water Tower Place and, while we didn't see Oprah, we met many great people (including a retired doctor and his wife that talked to me at length about what we do to the point that she asked me for dozens of our flyers so she could pass them out for us) and talked to them about what we're trying to do.  We also had a bunch of people come and sign the trucks.  



So, all in all a bittersweet day.  It's always sad to see drivers go home, especially someone that makes me laugh as much as John Rhyne does.

Tomorrow we've got a busy day in Elgin, the first of two there.  St. Joe's and Sherman Hospital and a few home visits.  Should be a good day.  Plus we add a driver, Eddie from LA (Lower Alabama)

One more thing...

I need to give props here to the folks at Marriott Suites Downers Grove.  Holy Moly they took care of us.  A contact of ours at the Chamber reached out to the GM, John and he hooked. us. up.  On, like, two days notice.  Three rooms for three days.  gratis.  Please, if you ever find yourself in need of a hotel in the western suburbs check them out.

Pink Heals!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment