Sunday, August 11, 2013

Joliet and points west...

Today was our second, and final, day in Joliet.  That's not completely accurate, since we're still in town, spending the night here before we move on tomorrow.

It's also not entirely true since we were in several towns today, even splitting the crew at one point to be in two places at one time.

Pink Heals Tour Baby.

We started our day with a work visit to Kris.  It was a surprise.  Her boss told her she had to teach a class at 8:00 this morning.  When she came out into the fitness center, she saw us and several dozen friends waiting to surprise her.  

We did.

Here's Chuck and Seth helping Kris sign Leslie.


We did a couple home visits this morning and then, compliments of the Joliet chapter (thanks for EVERYTHING Matt and Sandra!) we had an awesome breakfast at a place called Crispy Waffles (I think that was the name) (at least I think that was the name) and I promptly blew my whole "eat healthy on tour" concept right out of the water.  

What can I say, I like corned beef hash.  Sue me.

After breakfast we went out to Channahon for their annual parade.  Now, who doesn't like a parade?

No, really, who doesn't like them?  Maybe the people that have to clean up afterward but other than that. what's not to like?  And to make it even more interesting, in lieu of a home visit, we picked up a survivor from along the route and brought her along with us on the parade.  Gloria beat breast cancer so her friends wanted to do something special for her.  The thing that made this more poignant to me was she just lost her Dad to cancer this last winter.  Her Dad loved parades.  This was the first parade without him.


The other thing that made this parade memorable was that it marked the farewell performance of the Pink Heals Tour Driver dance ensemble.  

The. Last.

I've been told there was a video somewhere.  My life's goal is to find every last copy and destroy them all before they can be used for evil.  

OK, before I go any further... I don't remember if I mentioned the fact that last night Joliet PD's Pipe and Drom Corps played "Amazing Grace" at the unveiling.

I did?

OK, well I just mentioned it again.  Take a few minutes and look at this because these guys are the truth.

From the parade we grabbed a quick lunch at the Channahon FD and then we split, Vickki, Eddie, Seth and I took Leslie and June out to Peru, IL to do a home visit for Gary.  

Gary has led a life in service to the public.  A long-time firefighter in both LaSalle and Peru, he's now fighting stage four adenoid cystic carcinoma.  

As we pulled off the interstate at the Peru exit we were met by a parade group consisting of two tower ladders, a rescue squad, four ambulances, three engines, two squad cars and 8 or 10 firefighters in turnout gear, riding their motorcycles.  Bear in mind, this wasn't an actual parade, this was all people from the area assembling to pay respects to Gary and his family.  

Geez talk about goosebumps.

Gary knew we were coming by, and as we approached his house we saw him sitting in his front yard along with several dozen friends and family members.  We lined up, gave Gary hugs, told him we loved him and then did the same for his family.  They were all incredibly moved by the visit.

They weren't the only ones.  

It was one of the more touching events I've done.  Maybe because of the fact that we share the same job, I don't know.  But it was very rewarding to be a part of.

We made it back to Joliet for another home visit, Kari this time a thyroid cancer survivor.


After that we swung by Sandra's parents house to see her Mom, a breast cancer survivor.  

By the time we got back to the hotel it was almost 9:30 PM.  We ended the night by eating McDonald's grilled (see? back to eating healthy!) chicken sandwiches in the parking lot.  

And fries too.  I tried.

If I can figure out how to download the pictures off Dave's camera, I'll put some up from Peru.

Pink Heals!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment