Saturday, August 10, 2013

Best wishes on your next flower

Today was our first day in Joliet.  

We started by getting our first, up-close-and-personal look at Addison, their new ladder truck. Even though they've had her for a month or so, their event today was the official unveiling. 

The truck was originally from somewhere north of the Cheddar Curtain (they're a hearty breed up there, eh?), once Matt and his wife Sandra got her for their chapter they named her Addison, in honor of a seven year-old girl from the community that was fighting cancer.  

I say "was" because, three weeks ago, Addison passed away.

By all accounts, she was a fighter and fought til the end.  But, in the end, the cancer was too much. 

The truck is a beauty, no?



As I walked around reading some of the things that have been written on her already, there were a few that caught my eye, but some were truly moving.  Like these...


Addison and her parents got to sign before she died.  Matt said they're going to take the truck to the body shop and have some kind of clear coat ultraviolet sealer put over that so it never gets absorbed into the truck.  I think that's about the coolest thing I've heard in a while and it's very touching for their chapter.  

Plus it's a tangible thing that the family will always have. Addison's signature, preserved on the truck named for her, will help them heal and soothe them for a long time to come.

Here, if you look at the front of the truck, you see an image of a lady bug.  I'm a little confused, it's either a nickname for Addison or she loved ladybugs or both.  Regardless.  Many of the comments mentioned lady bugs.


To be perfectly honest, when I read this one, I almost lost it.  As I looked through the viewfinder of my cellphone camera it was all I could do to remain composed enough to snap the picture. 

I had to walk away. 

It just conjured up such a powerful image for me, it moved me almost to tears.  


So, after we checked out Addison, we had to drive about a block to our first event, a static display at the local cancer center.  Matt jumped in to the bus with me for the ride over.  

As he closed the door and walked up the stairs I looked over toward the door.  I had seen something move and it caught my eye.  

I looked over and had to do a double take.

I called Matt back up front and told him to take a look at the front window.

This is what we saw...


A lady bug.  She's up at the top of the front window, I didn't get very close because I didn't want to scare her off.  

I'm not quite sure what to make of that, but I find it to be kind of beyond coincidental.

And extremely cool. 

Not being one to mess with things I can't explain, let me just say I figured she wanted to join us... 

Addison, sweetie I was very proud to be part of a day celebrating your short time here.

In addition to jumping in Joliet from 8:30 AM to about 9:30 PM, we got 19 boxes of shirts and stuff in today, including the hats you see Matt and I modeling.  Dave ordered 36 of these and after today, I think we have 5 left. 

I'd like to think this picture had a little something to do with that.

Of course it didn't but I'd still like to think that.


We also got black and pink beanies in, as modeled by the young lady you see here.  I'm not sure but that look kinda has a "Mommy make that scary man go away" feel to it.


Tomorrow brings day 2 for Joliet as well as a side trip out to Peru, IL to make a home visit to a member of the Peru FD.

It's late, I'm tired, and I'm going to pass on MYPHTD for tonight.

I think.

Yes, I'm sure.

Maybe tomorrow.

How's that for a blatant teaser?

Pink Heals!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment