Sunday, October 13, 2013

Life (and our event, almost) is a beach

If pictures truly are worth a thousand words, this sucker will give you about 7,364 of those bad boys.

So let's fire up this travelogue and I'll show you our day.

Pictures like this are one of Dave's favorites.  People tend to forget the fact that we have huge expenses.  Even though we often tell people we sell shirts to keep the trucks on the road, most don't give it a second thought.  This picture is pretty typical of one of our fuel stops.  



Next time you grumble about how expensive fuel is, think about filling these girls up.  This is why we sell t-shirts.  So we can move the fleet down the road to the next town to try and set up a program to take care of the people in that town.

Now, as we make our way across America, we're not robots.  Nor do we have easy access to, ahhh, "facilities" in our vehicles, so we have to hit the rest stops from time-to-time.  

We made a pit stop this morning between Gainesville and Destin and I saw this sign...


And I couldn't stop giggling wondering how many men stand there waiting for, ummm, assistance.  And how many of those men actual pee their pants because, you know, it says "Hands Free".  

I'm a twelve year-old, I admit it.

So when we pulled in to Destin and into our venue (a really stellar looking property btw) I knew we were in a resort/retirement area when I got a sighting of the rarest of combinations...

Knee-high black socks, shorts and...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...  






Crocs!  That's right, if you look closely, the gentleman on the left has Crocs on.  I apologize for the picture btw, we were stopped in the parking lot, waiting for it to clear and I saw him coming my way.  When he was closest to me, a mini van pulled past (another reason to HATE mini vans) and by the time it cleared I had to take this shot in my mirror.  Hey this ain't as easy as it looks folks, let me tell you.

This venue also got high marks in my book because in my three years on tour, this is the closest we have ever parked to a Pacific northwest based, coffee-based beverage, super, mega global company (still waiting for a commercial endorsement and if they ain't offering, I ain't using their name in this fine intellectual property.


Good Christ, I just realized that I've used "ain't" three times in the last two paragraphs.  

Sigh.  

I've been down here too long.

Now then, on to business.  This is Carolyn.   She has Ewing's Sarcoma.  It's the second most common tumor of the bone.  This little doll came walking up to us with her parents and her two older brothers.  I gave them brochures and then asked if she was fighting.  That's when Mom told me what she had and I asked Carolyn if I could give her a hug.  We all lined up and took many pictures with her.  Check the PHT facebook page for videos with Carolyn and her parents.  Really special people and a great little girl.










These are the shirts the whole family was wearing today, in support of little Miss Carolyn.  Also, she's got a facebook page here and I highly encourage you to visit and "like" it too.  Mom mentions in one of our videos, that no new pediatric chemo drugs have been developed for 23 years.  2frickin'3 YEARS!!!  My friends, in my country that is what we call bullshit.  

Oh wait, this IS my country and it happens ALL THE TIME!!! 

So, long story a little less long, support this little doll and her family. 


Here's another little nugget for you.  Today, Leslie signed Leslie!  A 17 year survivor named Leslie signed our Leslie!  As we walked back to the bus (Leslie was parked in a remote lot) human Leslie (clarity alert) told me that she had no healthcare insurance.  because she was a survivor, her pre-existing condition meant insurance would cost her $768.00 per month.  That's right per month.  A little quick math tells me that equals $9216.00 per year.  

For health insurance.

Today.

In America.

Land of the free, home of the brave.

You know the place.

But wait!  There's more!

She said she checked into what her costs would be through Obamacare.

Obamacare.  You know, the latest thing that's going to ruin America and everyone that lives here.  

Turns out her insurance will cost her $110.00 per month through Obamacare.  January 1, 2014 she will once again have health insurance.  Good for you Leslie (the human one)!

See, here's the thing.  I said it last week and I still mean it.  This isn't about political parties, it's not about race, ethnicity, gender, labor, management, it's not about any of the things that DIVIDE us, it's about the things that UNITE us!  It's about taking care of those that can't take care of themselves. 

I am my brothers keeper, right?  Don't worry, I haven't been down here so long I'm gonna go all bible-thumper on you.  

OK, in closing (sort of) we sat down to dinner at a really beautiful Mexican restaurant right on the Bay of Whatever It Is here.  That's not really it's name.  Although there are more odd names here than anywhere.  

Except maybe Wisconsin.

And as we waited for our food, Rita, Jake and their son (I'm blanking on his name) came over to say hi.  Jake had seen us and checked us out online before he brought Rita by.  Here she's telling us her story...


























As it turns out, before her diagnosis, Rita was a successful sales rep.

For a major pharmaceutical company.  

She sold chemo drugs.  She was very good at her job, making a six figure income.

She now has Bone and Brain cancer.  

She also has a very strong faith and believes that will get her through.  She's a pretty amazing woman with a great family.  I'll keep her in my thoughts.

I hope you do too.  

Pink Heals!

Peace

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Joel, I was actually just checking out a few of your posts and had quick question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, thanks~

    Emily

    ReplyDelete