Friday, October 11, 2013

Bicycle clothing wasn't designed for everyone

I don't know what that stuff is called. But you know what I mean. The spandexy looking style of clothes, emblazoned with more corporate logos than, say, your typical stock car. These form fitting outfits look great on world-class cyclists. But you sir, Mr. Middle-aged insurance agent that currently carries about 45 extra pounds (I'm being generous with that estimate, it's probably more like 65), on you that clothing choice just screams. 

It screams because you have almost literally stretched it to its limits and that's got to hurt. 

While I applaud your effort at becoming more fit (I know, I know) I'm afraid I don't share your enthusiasm as far as your wardrobe choice this morning. I'm eating here fer cryin' out loud. 

I would just like to go on the record with that. 

Here's another thing -

Jay Holt is a quitter. 

That's a term of endearment in the world of Pink Heals touring, btw. While the editor has quashed any further editions of MYPHTD (editors, harrumph) I would like to say a few words about Jay (for some reason it just feels right to say both names together) Holt. 

I met Jay Holt in Bakersfield on the 2011 tour. He was driving Elaine, Dave's mobile office at the time. That was a position of some esteem and, as I watched how things unfolded on my first tour, it was obvious that was an earned position. That first group was full of great guys and we had a lot of fun together, but to my mind Jay Holt was the guy immediately behind Dave in terms of how things ran. He was, and is, a guy that I think about as I do Pink Heals related things to this day.  Kind of a "what would Jay Holt do?" thing.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

Remember buddy, the survivors we meet aren't the only ones whose lives you've changed.  I'm a better person for having met Jay Holt.  Of course I can't quite pull off saying something like that in person because, well, you know, in case you haven't noticed, we sometimes get a tad emotional and then the wheels fall off and next thing you know, well, there you are.

Now then, on to todays event...

My guy, Mike Amedeo, hooked us up with another stellar (an underused word imho) today with a mini parade preceding it.  We ended up at Gator Harley Davidson with a setup similar to yesterday, several local vendors all working toward local fundraising with the money going to local people.  While we were there selling shirts, the two women you see below approached our sales area.  I noticed the do' rag on the head of the woman on the right and asked her if it was just a fashion statement.

She replied "No, it's not" 

I asked if she was a survivor and she hesitated a moment.  Her friend piped up and said "As of today she is!"

She was told today by her doctor that she is now cancer-free!  How cool is that?  She came over to see our event on the day she was told she had beaten cancer!

 We all lined up and hugged her and told her we loved her, it was a really great feeling to be able to share that moment with someone. 



I mentioned Jay Holt (who should be home by this time) earlier, now it's time for me to say a few words about my friend Mike Amedeo...

Great dude.

I mean, I genuinely love the guy.  

Last year we spent 10 days and about 1800 miles together through the Midwest and the Great Plains and even though we "chatted" a couple times over the last year, we really haven't stayed in regular contact.  Mike went to nursing school this year and wasn't able to go on tour, but he was able to put together these two events for us.  

Here, in a nutshell, is the kind of guy he is.  Last year on tour, pretty much anytime we went out for a meal, I drank Arnold Palmers (a lovely concoction of 1/2 lemonade and 1/2 iced tea).  Almost exclusively.  So what was the first thing Mike said to me when we got in to town yesterday?

"I've got a case of Arnold Palmers waiting for you"

How can you not love the guy?

Here, for my closing, is how my night ended.  



A lovely piece of cheesecake with fresh blueberry compote and whipped cream, served up by a local vendor (a retired cop from Colorado that moved out here to be by her sister) with a mobile coffeehouse called "Sweet Brewnette".  

I'm a sucker for a well played pun.

Among other things.

Pink Heals!

Peace    

No comments:

Post a Comment