Sunday, October 6, 2013

I didn't see a single bug all day. That's some kind of record for Florida, right?

I get why people move down here from cold weather climates, I really do.  Today (without getting the NWS report) was hot and humid.  Pretty easy to work up a good sweat today.  When I was younger I liked cold weather better, but, the older I get, the less I like it.  

I don't think it gets cold here.  

Like, ever.

I mean check out the back drop for our event today in Fort Meyer Beach or Port or Harbor or Shore or something.  I don't remember, it's like Barrington, for cryin out loud, with all the sub-Barringtons, you know?  

But this view?  This ain't Barrington...


Today, we split the trucks.  While everyone else went on home visits, Vickkkkki and I grabbed a local guy and followed an FMFD engine to a couple senior citizen assisted living places and then to a children's hospital.  

At the second senior place, we met Bea and Jim...


Bea is a survivor and Jim, who beat cancer once, years ago, is currently fighting it again.  Bea was a real sweetie, she hung out with me, talking for ten or fifteen minutes.  She told me they used to travel quite a bit, she said she had been to all but eight states and had been to 83 countries.  Bea was a native New Yorker and she's not alone here.  Geez I think I hear more New York or New England accents than I do Southern accents.  Probably by three-to-one.

But occasionally a Chicagoan sneaks in.  As we pulled up to the children's hospital, I saw this Mom and her two kids standing alongside the entrance.  In addition to the older daughter you see here, Mom and her little one in the stroller were all wearing Bears gear.  

Too bad the Bears didn't play up to the level these ladies hoped for.

The ladies signed Leslie in honor of her Aunt from Aurora.  I gave her our website and told her to have the family contact us they'd like us to do a home visit there once we get Leslie home.


After the visits we were treated to lunch at a place owned by a retired fire guy, great food and many TV's.  And then we split again.  This time four of us set up for retail operations while the other three lined up to be a part of the evenings parade downtown.  We sold a bunch of t-shirts and met many great people today.  Got some very emotional hugs from survivors (note to Eddie and Chuck, I'm telling them I'm the best hugger on tour) and just had a real nice day.  

I needed this after getting so jacked up yesterday.  I even talked to Dave about end of tour stuff so we can try to plan on bringing Leslie home.  Captain, if you see this, I'm going to try and call you tomorrow and give you the lowdown...

I think that's all I've got of value for now.  We're off to Sarasota in the morning for who knows what.

No, I mean that.  Who knows what we're doing tomorrow?  Anyone?

Buehler?

Pink Heals!

Peace

1 comment:

  1. Crap! I can't believe I forgot to add this... Special thanks to John, Andrew and Ronnie for riding along with us today. And also to the young lady taking pictures, I never even caught her name. They were great!

    ReplyDelete