Thursday, September 6, 2012

Day 13 (Blanche Dubois is our Guardian Angel)

First a little housekeeping... I forgot to mention (I can't believe I forgot it) yesterday I had my first super mega-global, Pacific-northwest based, coffee-based beverage in 10 days!  It was like manna from heaven.  The best part is... there's another super mega-global, Pacific-northwest based, coffee-based beverage vendor about 300 yards from our hotel tonight!  Two days in a row!  WOOHOO!!!

OK, here's today's Blanche Dubois moment... we talked last night about filling up the trucks at a fuel stop right next to our hotel.  We decided against it because it was too tight a fit, especially for the bus and the trailer.  So we headed west on I-90 pulling in to a truck stop 8 miles west of Billings.  When we got there, I saw a woman with her three little dogs following behind her and figured she was either a trucker or was riding with her husband.  She was taking pictures of the rigs and saying how cool they were.  Well after I finished fueling up the bus and powdering my nose, etc. Dave told me she was the owner of the truck stop and she was a cancer survivor to boot.  She wouldn't let us pay for the fuel.  $500.00 worth.  That's huge.  The kindness of strangers.

UPDATE- I'm currently sitting outside the local Pacific-northwest based coffee-based beverage vendor (I'm still available for endorsement opportunities btw) looking at the mountains, enjoying the sunshine and sipping on a lovely laaaattaaay (read as Forrest Gump, it makes a difference, really it does) and if (unless of course you're from the afore mentioned super mega-global, Pacific-northwest based, coffee-based beverage company, in which case I would NEVER make light of your amazing products) it wasn't for the whole 863 feet of snow per winter, combined with an average winter temperature of roughly absolute zero, I could get used to this. It really is beautiful out here. 

See?


This picture doesn't do the mountains justice, they really are amazing.

As I said earlier, today started out with us leaving Billings (or Boise, as John likes to call it) and arriving in Butte (or Boise, as John likes to call it).  We started out parking in front of the firehouse, the Chief very graciously provided us with pork chop sandwiches for lunch, and we met some really great people there. 

From the firehouse, we split up with Leslie and Tonya (the two engines, driven by John and Grant) went to do a home visit while Karen and Ann Marie (driven by Leonard {sans chaps} and me, with Dave riding shotgun) went to the local mall for a static display.  Met a lot of nice people there too, and between the two stops we sold a decent amount of t-shirts and hats which is always a good thing.  As I've mentioned before, that's what keeps the trucks on the road.

Tonight I'm in the hotel for the rest of the evening.  Time to do some laundry.  Apparently no-one from Watertown, SD called ahead for us... or they don't have a "wolf" working for them here. 

Tomorrow we leave for Idaho Falls, ID (or Boise, as John likes to call it) we have a travel day tomorrow but there are 14 boxes of t-shirts waiting for us there, so we'll be busy once we get there.

Pink Heals!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment