Saturday, August 25, 2012

Just like Christmas morning

First day on the tour is coming to a close.  We had a great day in Aurora, IL today.  It was held at the Aurora Regional Fire Museum, a cool little museum, that I'd actually thought might be kind of interesting to visit.  We had great crowds, met lots of survivors and gave lots of hugs.  One thing kind of caught me off guard though, I was helping a lady write something in memory of her aunt and I had my hand on her back because I didn't want her to mis-step and fall, and I was in perfect position to look over her shoulder at what she was writing.  In the time it took her to write, I felt the emotion of the moment as I watched the words flow from her pen onto Leslie.  Leslie, by the way, is named for a police officer from Indiana, a young woman that lost her battle to cancer.  I had to turn my eyes away briefly to maintain control of my composure.  I don't have many pictures from today, a brief video but I'm having issues (besides my normal issues) linking to it from the hotel computer. 

I do have this though, after the event I went into the museum and saw a 1948 American LaFrance fire engine from Batavia, IL. 

I looked at the bio posted for the engine and saw that it served the community for 40 years, from 1948 to 1988.  Given those dates, it means my Uncle Bob worked off of that engine.  Kind of a cool yet random thing.  Serendipity I guess. 

Of course this whole thing would work a lot better if I could figure out how to get the photo/video from my alleged "smart" phone to the hotel computer... grumble, grumble, grumble...

OK, I'm heading up for the evening.  Getting up and out early ish to drive up to Rockford, IL for an event up there.  Breakfast at the firehouse then to St. Anthony's Cancer Center.  In addition to being excited about doing this, I also get to see an old friend who's now a Deputy Chief on the FD up there and a new friend from "the Twitter"

Sorry G, I had to, lol!

Pink Heals!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment