Friday, March 10, 2017

Return Trip

Well this had potential to get ugly...

For some reason I had it in my had that I was flying home tomorrow afternoon.  So, yesterday, I thought it might be prudent to set a reminder on my phone to check in today for tomorrows flight.  When I pulled up the app, I saw boarding was 17 hours or so away.

I said to myself "self, that doesn't sound right..."

Upon further review, my flight was scheduled for today at 12:50 PM.  Imagine my surprise.  Go on, I'll wait...

Now, I had plans for this morning.  A tour of FBI Headquarters, guided by the sister (Thanks Jill, it was pretty cool to see!) of a friend of mine back in Illinois.  I didn't really want to blow that off and going to a place like that isn't really the kind of thing that allows for the whims of a careless traveller, you know?  But a few clicks of the keyboard and I rescheduled (after a small fee...) for this afternoon.

Now, here's a couple examples of why this town fascinates me.  I was walking back from the Metro to my hotel after my tour.  Quick side note - James Comey is very tall.  Like, really tall.  Like I had to look up at him when he walked past us on his way to some ceremony.  Anyway, as I was walking up the street (cursing my wardrobe choice since it was a mix of snow and rain and not at all pleasant) past the National Geographic Museum (second, quick, side note - that's a pretty cool, albeit very small, museum and I thoroughly enjoyed the photography display) listening to the Dance Band of the Revolution (if you know them, you know them) when I saw a young woman wearing a vest identifying her as representing something.  I couldn't make out what.  But she waved me down, smiling and made some random small talk.  I stopped, fully aware she was going to try and sell me something.  I had an old FIREPAC pin on my sport coat and she asked what it was about.  I explained it to her and she told me she had worked on the campaign for Hillary last fall.  We talked about politics and how I felt like my party needed to do a better job of finding candidates.  She said she was woking for The Nature Conservancy while she was waiting to hear if she was accepted in to Law School.  She asked me about the weather in Chicago so I asked her what school she was looking to get into.  She said she had applied to Northwestern so I tried to tell her a little about what to expect in the winter and told her she was close to a lot of entertainment options in that part of suburbia.  I asked her what she wanted to do with her law degree and she said something about banking but that she thought maybe when she got into her 40's or 50's she'd try a run for office.

I told her not to wait.

See, here's the deal.  Like I said up above, my party needs bright, young candidates.  Desperately.  I told her briefly about my (failed) attempt at running for office and how I regretted not doing it at a younger age.  I told her I understood the need to make money while you can, but I urged her not to wait so long.  She already had experience canvassing and working in a campaign office and those are not things to be scoffed at.  Imho one of the most intimidating things in a campaign is canvassing, especially if you're the candidate.  You're putting yourself out there, metaphorically, naked and alone and at the mercy of whomever answers the door you've knocked on.  You can meet some pretty great people that way.  You can also get cursed at, get doors slammed in your face (literally) and even get threatened with physical violence.  It's tough work, yet it can be incredibly rewarding and there is no better way to learn what really matters to voters.  I just felt like she was ahead of the game since she was already experienced and comfortable with it.

I gave her a lot to think about.  I really hope she does something, if first impressions mean anything she's incredibly bright and very personable and those are key points in her favor too.  I asked her name, I told her after she gets elected to Congress I wanted to be able to say I knew her way back when.  Brittney, I doubt very much you'll ever read this, but I wish you nothing but the best.  And always support your firefighters *smiley face*

Later, on the ride to the airport from my hotel, the driver asked where I was going.  I replied I was going to "National Airport"

He said "Reagan?"

"Yeah, but I refuse to call it that" I replied laughing.

He asked why and I told him my thoughts about that particular President.  He told me he had another passenger tell him something similar.  He understood.  We spent the rest of the trip to the airport commiserating about the foibles, faux pas and foul ups of 45's run so far.  I didn't ask him where he was from originally, but from the name on his livery card and his accent I think it's safe to assume he came here from the Middle East.  I know how freaked out I get at the prospect of our future here.  I can't imagine how someone who, by nature of his name, speech and appearance is targeted by a large segment of our population due only to those facts.  This man spoke articulately about everything that's been happening here for the last couple dozen or so years.  I remember thinking how so many of the people I know are no where near as prepared for a similar discussion such as the one we had.

So yeah, this town fascinates me.  No doubt.  I find that when I'm here I spend a lot more time staying up to speed on events around the nation as a whole and here in particular.  And, I feel a little ashamed that I'm not as diligent when I get back home.

That's something I need to work on.

Although, for starters, I'm going to a protest tomorrow to "welcome" our Governor in to my town where he'll be attending the annual County GOP party fundraiser.

I wonder if he'll be happy to see me???

Peace

PS - And just in case you're wondering, what started out as a semi-secluded corner of the gate has devolved into a reasonably full house.  Including the little old lady that decided to curl up and take a nap in the chair immediately next to mine.  Thank god I realized she was getting ready to plop into it and was able to grab my laptop bag out of harm's way in time.  Jesus woman, personal space much?

Again,

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment