Friday, March 31, 2017

Pocket Olives

Well, this one has been cooking in my brain for a week or so and one of the side effects is that I can now add to my original thoughts on Springfield.  The middle grandson (Boy Genius) and I went down for a couple days this week during his Spring Break.

So, for starters, we all made it home safely from Springfield.  It was quite a unique experience, let me tell you.  No, I mean it, let me tell you about our experiences at the Legislative Conference.  I mean, after all, it's kinda what I do here, you know?

Let's see... where to start... Oh!  I know!  Food, let's talk about food!

Or at least where we ate.

Now, granted, Springfield doesn't have the concentration of fine dining that a city like Chicago does.  So, don't misunderstand what I'm about to say.  Besides, the food itself was fine.  On the other hand, the service was, well, I don't know, awkward?  The place we chose is known for who you see there as much as for what you eat there.  It's very popular among the political crowd, which means it's not unusual to see various elected officials dining there.  I think that's why our chief political nerd chose it for dinner our first night.  I'm not throwing stones at him either fwiw, but if you know me, you know I hold my stomach in high regard and would much prefer an excellent meal over random politico sightings.  After all, they're in season now and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.

I wouldn't btw.

Swing a dead cat, that is.

So, you know, don't sic the ASPCA on me.  Keep Sarah McLachlan away too.  I'm fine with cats, really I am.  For most of my life I've shared a residence with them and we've always been fine.  Although, truth be told, if that arrangement never comes up again, I'm ok with it...

Back to the topic...

We were seated after a brief delay.  Although some IBEW guys came in after us and were seated before us.  Just sayin.  Once in, we placed our beverage order along with, I believe, an appetizer or three.  As our waitress started bringing the drinks by, there was, oh let's call it a bit of confusion on her part.  Up to and including dropping the olives for the martini that was ordered by one of our little group.  I'm not sure why they weren't, you know, IN the martini, but whatevs.  At any rate, when she came back, she produced, from her pocket, replacement olives.

Two things came to my mind...

A.) Why did she have olives in her pocket?  

B.)  Pocket Olives would be a great name for a band.

There were some interesting suggestions on her part, in accompaniment to our food selections.  She seemed particularly proud of their red gravy, even suggesting it along with an Alfredo sauced dish.  But, before I stumble off onto an unwarranted ramble, let me direct you to the end of our meal.  Several of us ordered coffee at the end of the meal, nothing unusual there.  And, if you know me IRL, you know just how important a part of my life coffee is.  I mean, after all, I'm sitting in a coffeehouse as I write this.  Whiskey may be the water of life but coffee is, at the very least, nature's defibrillator after all.

The coffee that was delivered to us was, ummmmmm, an abomination, no, a crime against humanity, no, it was, it was, GOOD CHRIST I CAN'T EVEN FIND THE WORDS!!!

I think in all honesty, the coffee was run through old grounds.  You could see the bottom of the cup through it, that's how thin and watery this slop was.  So, obviously the above is only a mild exaggeration.  And to top it off, she kept asking us if we wanted more.  Like, every 30 seconds or so. It was like the record had a skip in it.  OK, I recognize I'm dating myself with that reference, so if you don't get it, ask an old person.  And screw you for pointing it out to me.

Just kidding.

Not really.

Other than me stepping on a portion of my anatomy you never want to step on in front of a recently defeated candidate, the trip was more or less uneventful.  Oh wait!  Hold that thought.  Our very own Local 3234 Secretary/3234 PAC Chairman presented to the assembled group on the last day of the Conference.


He did great btw, showing how to set up your very own local PAC.  That was one of the high points to me, seeing him on the statewide stage representing our Local.  One of the other guys represented Local 3234 in the Honor Guard at the opening ceremony and that too meant a lot to me.  Lastly, having two guys make their first visit to Springfield for this event made my highlight list as well.  Looking at the end of my career, it helps ease the separation anxiety when I know 3234 is being left in capable young hands.  The guys that came before me sacrificed so much to establish what we have.  Knowing the younger guys understand the importance of that and are ready to take on the challenge of growing it is definitely a warm fuzzy.

This week, I made a return trip to Springfield with the Boy Genius in tow.  The weather was not our friend; cold and drizzly if not downright biblical deluge coming from the sky for the better part of our visit.  But we did manage to get a visit with a State Senator from Rock Island, Neil Anderson, who btw is a firefighter in Moline, IL along with a visit to the Abraham Lincoln Museum.  Thanks to my State Rep. (and one time political opponent) Barb Wheeler for the hook up on tickets.  We spent several hours there looking through the various exhibits and really enjoyed ourselves.  We agreed to head back around 3:00 yesterday afternoon and had, despite horrible weather for much of the drive, an uneventful (that's a good thing btw) trip home.

As we were heading north, I found my mind wandering to a variety of topics over the course of the four hours or so drive.  Driving through rural northern Illinois, I wondered who came up with the address system currently in use in some parts.  I wondered how the local FD's get where they need to go and I played through in my head what I would say and how I would describe to the 9-1-1 dispatcher where to send the troops.

"Look, I'm on XYZ Road about a mile or so east of ABC Street.  I don't know the number, because, apparently, you people don't require them.  I'll tell you what, unless you drop those tones right now and get them started you can just tell them to drive north out of town, they'll see the header cause that fucker is getting pretty big already"

Or something to that effect.  It made me laugh.  A couple times over.

Unless the Quiet Child is reading this.  In that case, what I meant to say was that my mind was laser-focused on driving, the roads, and the vehicles that we shared those roads with.  Because I would never, ever, do anything even close to letting my mind wander while one of her offspring is in the car with me...

For real.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment