Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Brotherhood


Two weeks ago I was in D.C. for our union's Legislative Conference, yesterday was the first day in Springfield for our state association's Legislative Conference.  It got off to a good start, imho.

For instance... Local 3234 had a nice mix of old guys and new guys; two first timers, a second timer and a third (fourth?) timer.  This makes me happy as it tends to indicate to me that my local will be in good hands after guys from my generation are gone.  And there's not many of us left.  

The other thing that pleased me about the day was this; it reinforced my feelings that, while the International (IAFF) may have vacated the "we support those that support us" theory, our state association (AFFI) has not.  Not by a long shot.  A look at the speakers list reveals the truth.  

Without having the materials in front of me as I write this, we've got Rep. Durkin, the minority leader of the Illinois House, tomorrow along with Senator McCann among the speakers.  He's one of my favorite examples when I try and prove the point to new guys.  The "we support those that support us" point, that is.  Here's the deal, as it turns out the good Senator has many state employees that live in his district.  Many union workers that live in his district.  For those of you that may not be aware (you don't come around here very often, do you?  Welcome!) our current Governor hates organized labor.  Hates it.  btw, that should be said like the "Men On Film" bit from In Living Color  and if you Google it, you'll thank me.  Back on task now, Governor Bur... errr Rauner, attempted to do one of the few things he has in his playbook, throw vast amounts of his personal wealth at his problems.  



Last I heard, our Governor (side note; if you Google image search C. Montgomery Burns you don't need to scroll very far before you get to an actual photo of our Governor) has given roughly $54 MILLION of his own into the campaign fund to defeat Democrats or any Republican that dares to challenge his views.  Which brings me back to Senator Sam McCann.  He understands what it's like to be a middle class resident of Illinois.  He recognizes the value union membership has for a family working hard to make ends meet.  And he refused to turn his back on those members and their families.  And union members all across his district rose up to support him as he (figuratively) kicked the Rauner designee in the teeth and won despite vast sums of money getting funneled to his opponent.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm a liberal Democrat and I always will be.  But I'd like to think I'm pragmatic enough to understand both sides need to work together.  Or should.  See my earlier comments about negotiating.  It's kinda the same thing.  

This, imho, is one of the key reasons nothing is getting done in our fair state.  

"Somebody" refuses to negotiate in good faith.  I don't understand the basis for this... phobia... the Guv has with organized labor, well, actually I guess I do, but I don't believe it's founded in reality.  Historically, organized labor has tended to lean Democratic when it comes to politics.  Anecdotally, however, I think we're far closer to an even split if not 60/40 to the Republican side.  Yet, the Governor hates nothing, NOTHING, more than organized labor.  

Wait...  Check that...  There is one thing he hates more than unions....

The letter "G"

Seriously, have you ever heard him speak?  I'm sure it's all affect, trying be all "common man" but instead, it's laughable.  It comes across as hollow.  And pandering.  And disingenuous.  The "$18 Timex" he wore while campaigning or the Carhartt jacket he wore that looks like it never seen the outdoors.  Side note, out of all the Governors listed in the Legislative Handbook in D.C. guess who the only one was whose photo didn't include a suit and tie?  Ok, the only male.  So, yes he thinks we're all rubes and boobs that buy into his act.  

Gosh, our Governor may have a net worth of a Billion dollars but he sure does talk like one of us.

Uh huh.

We're getting ready to head over to the Capital to meet with our State Representatives.  The Senate isn't in this week so it'll be a quick day.  Then off to the Legislative Reception tonight.  

It should be a lot of fun, let's hope it's productive. 


No comments:

Post a Comment