Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pre-Tour Preview

Having nothing better to do, I flew to Rochester, MN yesterday. 

That's not exactly true, as regular readers of this space are well aware.  You see, I flew there to meet up with the 2013 version of the Pink Heals National Tour.  One of the perks of being married to the pirate, and there are many, is ridiculously low priced fares on pirate ships. 

Many, many perks. 

Thousands, if not millions. 

Stop it, I'm being serious. 

So she hooked me up with tickets to RST (a lovely little airport btw) and away I went, 40 minutes by air. I think it took us longer to taxi out than it did to fly there. A guy from the FD picked me up and brought me to the tour stop they were on, just in time to hit our first home visit. 

We met Kari.  

Fighting breast cancer. 

And 25 weeks pregnant. 

She's awesome!
Here she is on the trailer with my guy John from Oklahoma (he's baaaack) and Sam from LA (Lower Alabama) and this visit was, for me, a great start to Pink Heals season. We did a static display at Peace Plaza in downtown Rochester,
went to Gift of Life transplant house and Ronald McDonald House and did four more home visits including Emma 
And Erin
And then went to another static display for a couple hours. 

My original plan was to fly home from RST the next morning. I thought the tour was going to get up around 4:00 am and drive to Milwaukee for an 8:30 start. But Dave decided to drive to Madison, WI and start Tuesday at a more reasonable time. So I called the pirate, scrapped my original plans and drove Karen and the trailer down to Madison. We got in around 12:45 am, got up around 5:30 (when I said "reasonable" I meant it loosely) and as the troop headed off to Milwau"ya would you like a beer with yer beer, eh?"kee, I caught a cab to the airport. 

I don't know what the cabbie did before he turned 75, but he's driving around the dairylands Capitol these days. Against my better judgement, I tried to strike up a conversation with him. Told him, briefly, about Pink Heals. 

I'd have been better off telling him a Martian was crawling out of the neck of his shirt. I don't think he heard two words I said to him past "the airport please". 

Sigh

So I walked in to MSN (yet another lovely little airport) to no line and at least as many TSA agents as I had seen at ORD the day before. For real. It was insanely smooth getting to the gate. And the agents were very nice. No, I said it. Nice.  Now, you know me. I'm NOT a "BIG GUBMINT, BIG GUBMINT" kind of guy. In fact, I'm absolutely OK with government being as big as it needs to be.  But there's a serious resource allocation issue if you ask me. 

But no-one ever asks me. 

And so, gentle readers, as we come to the close of the first edition of "What I did on my summer vacation" let me just say...

OH WAIT I ALMOST FORGOT!!!
Heeere's Leslie!

Ok, for now, remember...

Pink Heals

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment