Saturday, December 29, 2012

Ellie and Andy

I've started and stopped this post about 5 times... and this one may not see the light of day either...

I sat down to work on my eulogy for Mom.  It's important to me that I do this.  I've gained a certain amount of experience speaking in front of crowds about intensely emotional, personal things over the last 6 and a half years, I've become pretty decent at it, and it's something I want to give to her.

Lord knows she's given plenty to me.

Typically when I speak there's a PowerPoint running behind me, I don't believe I'll have that advantage this time, but that's OK.

I would like to share a couple photos with the class here though.  For example, this one...


...is Andy and Ellie in Texas, right about the time they got married in November 1942.

Dashing, no?

I can't figure out who Dad was trying to be with that pose.  It's certainly pre-Cap'n Morgan so it's got to be a movie star of the era.  They were a good looking couple, Dad in his class "A", Mom showing a little leg.

My two sisters were born in the post war 40's (sorry, but you can still tell your grandkids you're 39, they won't read this) and my brother (1951) and I (1958) in the fabulous 50's.  As the baby of the family, I was, without doubt, the favorite.  They worked out all the kinks with the other three, so by the time I came along, well, you know.

Mom caught a lot of grief from my sisters and brother about that too, and she denied it until much later in life, when she finally admitted that, yes, I was her favorite.

Just kidding, she never "really" admitted that.  But she stopped denying it, so... potato/potatoe it's still a win for me.

Well then.

Since my stated purpose was to work on the eulogy, and I haven't gotten any closer to finishing that with this hot mess...

Let me close by adding Mom and Dad's 50th anniversary picture...


And finally to leave you with this little pearl of wisdom -

Kids, talk to your parents.  Ask them about their history, the family's history.  Take notes.  Because one day, your kids will want to know and you'll want to tell them.


No comments:

Post a Comment