Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Coming out of the closet... So to speak.

No, not that closet.  Got your attention though, didn't it?

I've decided I don't want to hide behind the anonymity of the internetz anymore.  Well, at least not as much as I did.

As you may or may not know, I'm rather active on Twitter (@50isthenew50) and there's been some drama on my timeline lately among people I follow.  As I watched this Jr. High pissing contest unfold, full of the name-calling etc. and I kind of came to the realization that, if someone, for whatever reason, REALLY wanted to find out who I am IRL, they could do it.

I've watched people "out" trolls on both ends of the political spectrum, posting names, addresses, photos, kids names, all sorts of stuff.  It's one of the reasons I don't engage in that.  And not to come off as holier-than-thou, I just don't enjoy that kind of thing.

It's not my personality type.

I'm a lover, not a fighter... or something...

Blogger has been asking me for some time if I wanted to switch my profile over to a more public G+ profile and I've resisted it for several months.  But I finally decided I've got nothing to hide, well not TOO much, and just thought I might be able to accomplish more this way.

So now, on to my next conundrum (a word that needs to get dusted off from time to time)...

I'm active in several non-profit organizations.  Non-profit organizations that, by nature of their existence must remain, if not apolitical, at least non-partisan, or they lose their non-profit status.  And I don't say that to blow my own horn, it's just what it is.

So far, so good, right?

Here's the thing.

Me, personally?  I'm neither apolitical nor (or?) non-partisan.

Far from it.  In fact, the charming picture of the adorable little protester to the left, is from one of the marches on the Wisconsin state Capital building.  And as we speak, I'm making plans to go to Freeport, IL this Friday to protest Bain Capital and their closing the Sensata plant out there, shipping 170 jobs to China.

I'm a proud union member, IAFF local 3234, and will do what I can as an individual to make sure my opinions are out there (some would say WAY out there) and to protect the rights of other individuals to take part in the processes that make our country, our country.

Even when I don't agree with them.

It's what we do.

Or should do.

Pink Heals.

Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment