Monday, July 30, 2012

Everything I know about women... Volume 1

In addition to being the name of the world's shortest book, this is a topic that I could ramble on for quite some time about.  I think that's due to my inherently ramble-y nature and not the vast stores of knowledge I have on the topic.  Having said that, I do have a purpose here.

Among the many blessings in my life are an amazing collection of women.  And I need to start with the one that started me.  Ellie celebrated her 90th birthday yesterday.  An open house was held for her at the home of one of my nieces and about 75 people stopped by to say hi or otherwise reminisce with her.  And us.

And whether she realizes it or not, she's taught me quite a bit to make me into the person I am today.  She taught me to care for someone when they don't feel well.  She taught me that, without love we have nothing.  She taught me that love transcends all.  She taught me that, even if she didn't much care for the person I was with (dragon lady, to steal a name from my boss) if I was happy, that's all that mattered.  She also taught me that blood doesn't necessarily define family.  She's got 4 (5 counting the Blond Child) step-grandchildren, thanks to my brother and I, and she loves each of them as if they were of her own blood.

90 years is, in case you hadn't noticed, a long time.  Mom pre-dates "talkies", silent movies were it when she was born.  She lived through the Great Depression and World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom...

I'd better stop before I take a wrong turn.  I'll save that rant for another time

Where I was trying to go with this (and failing miserably) was to connect what I learned from El, and frankly every other woman of importance in my life, was that women are the most selfless beings on the planet.

On.  The.  Planet.

They care for us without complaint from infant to adulthood and do their best to prevent us from knowing how our needs bollixed up theirs.

And so, to honor, not just Mom, the Pirate, the Oldest One, the middle child, the Blond Child, the Blond Childs Mother, the Dancer and the dozens of other women in my life that mean so much to me, I'm once again taking part in the Pink Heals Tour

I went last year.  It was my first time.  I joined them in Bakersfield, CA and went to my first event on a Sunday morning.  45 minutes outside Bakersfield in some of the most beautiful farmland I've ever seen, we got out of 3 pink fire trucks, dressed in pink turn out gear and gave hugs and a dozen roses to a woman that just finished her first round of chemo.

It was, without question, the coolest thing I've ever done in my life.  Ever.

I'm fortunate, none of the women in my immediate circle of life have had to deal with cancer.  But I'm proud to do what I can to let women that are fighting know that there are men that support and encourage them.

I leave August 25th and I'll be home September 9th heading from northern Illinois out Interstate 90 and ending in Boise, Idaho.  The tour just kicked off this last week and it goes until the first part of October, but that's the only portion I'll be on.

And I can't wait.

So friends, if you're driving along and you see a convoy of pink fire trucks, honk and wave.  And use all your fingers cause we really are decent folks trying to do something nice for those in need.

Pink Heals.

Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment