Thursday, January 20, 2011

Goosebumps

Yikes.

It's been way longer than I'd hoped between musings here. I'm going to try and fire this thing up to see if it still works...

There's been some debate in Chicago sporting circles over who should sing the National Anthem at this weeks Bears game. I have to admit, after hearing Jim Cornelison's version last Sunday, I thought "why would ANYONE want some 'American Idol hack' (no offense intended to Lee DeWyze) to sing it?" And then, on another blog, I listened to this and thought, well, I thought he did a really nice job. It's a VERY difficult song to sing after all (I promise, no Roseanne Barr versions up in here) and he did a very nice job in front of a big crowd and on a nationally televised game. Of course there's many other famous versions too. This one comes to mind...

And all of this "controversy" got me thinking about various versions I've heard over the years. I must admit, I don't remember ever hearing it at a high school event I played in. I don't know why, I just don't. What I do remember is, watching my son, when he played high school football, rocking back and forth during the Anthem. I don't know if he was aware of what he was doing, but my neighbor and I both noticed it and commented on it.

I've been to Chicago Blackhawks games, I've heard the roar that accompanies Cornelison's version before. And I've heard the debate over whether it's disrespectful or not. Personally, I can see both sides of the debate, but tend to think it's not a show of disrespect. Anyway, as I was saying, the roar that comes up during the Hawks pre-game singing is loud. VERY loud. But, it's not the loudest I've ever heard. I'm pretty sure this is the loudest version I've ever heard. I only wish I had been there in person. Holy. Crap. It was during the Gulf War, and it was the most emotional version I've ever heard. It still gives me goosebumps. Wayne Messmer is the shit. As good as Corny or DeWyze may be, Wayne is the man.

But the thing is, MOST versions of our National Anthem give me goosebumps. At least the non-Roseanneish versions. And the really good ones, like those above, cause a tear to well up in my eyes. My Dad was a World War II vet. My son is an OIF vet, as was my son-in-law. I understand the sacrifice so many have made. And they made it with no thought to personal gain. And, often times, they made it with no thought to personal safety. And they made it with no guarantees of anything, implied or otherwise.

We often find things to bitch about, both as a nation and as either individuals or small groups united by a common cause. We should remember, more often than we do, the sacrifices these men and women have made and realize just how good we have things here in this country. And maybe, instead of bitching, we should go and do something to make our city, our state, our country and our world a better place.

I saw this article online the other day, and it took my breath away. I mean, I deal with homeless people somewhat regularly in the course of my job and I often get aggravated at them and the "problems" they cause.

But this?

I don't care who you are or what you've done in life, no-one should ever have to die homeless, alone, in a dumpster. A frickin' dumpster. I need to seek out my local PADS and volunteer a little time. I need some soul cleansing or something. I feel the need to do something, anything, to try and make a difference. Cause that's just wrong.

Excuse me while I climb down off my soapbox. OK, now that I've rambled ALL over the place, I need to get here more often. Maybe that'll keep me on track a little better. Peace everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment