Saturday, September 3, 2016

Let's go for a walk

These words invariably elicit a prompt response from an otherwise sedentary dog.  Namely, mine.


Sophie is, as I've mentioned here before, my very favorite dog of all time.  And this is one of my favorite pictures of her, odd as it may seem.  It will forever put a smile on my face because, when she's laying down like this, if I lay down in front of her, like I did to take this picture, her tail immediately starts rhythmically thumping the floor.  So, I mean, obvs, right?

Today, she and I are celebrating her 11th birthday.  I'd like to say I remember the day we brought her home, but that would be a lie.  Of sorts.  I don't have any clear recollections of that day.  I do, however, vividly remember the day I found out we were going to get her.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned here, multiple times, Tobi the Jack Russell terrorist (not an autocorrect) and how he ruled the roost.  So, adding a dog to the family wasn't something I'd really considered, even though (maybe especially because) we'd taken an ill-fated attempt at taking in a Lab that needed a new home.  As it turned out the reason the Lab needed a new home was her inability to get along with other dogs...  $600.00 worth of vet bills later, the Lab was out and Tobi was recuperating.

So, when the Quiet Child remarked how she'd like to get a puppy so that the soon-to-be-born Boy Genius would have a puppy to grow up with, Diane offered up her assistance and even recommended a breeder that lives near us.  She called and found out that he did, in fact, have two litters of puppies to check out.  Diane made an appointment to see said puppies the next day.

While I was at work.

My phone rang the next afternoon.  It was Diane.  What follows are direct quotes, etched in my memory...

Me: Hi

Diane: These puppies are so frickin' cute!

M: You want one don't you?

D: Can we?

Like I really had any say in the matter.  Picking out which puppy went similarly...

Diane: Do you want a Black Lab or a Yellow Lab?

Me: (after several seconds of careful consideration) you know, I'm kind of a traditionalist.  I think I'd like a Black Lab.

D: We're getting a Yellow one.

M: Ok

Even though Diane was the one to take Sophie to obedience classes as soon as Soph was old enough, and she worked with her every. single. day. Sophie always gravitated to me, a trait which continues to this day.

We've been through a lot together, Sophie and I, over the last 10+ years.  From Diane's passing to two moves to my divorce from the pirate.  And through so many times when I didn't really care to interact with people, Sophie was always there, laying at my feet, completely non-judgmentally supporting me as only a dog can.  So the least I can do for her is try and make her life as comfortable as I can.

That's not always easy for this dog.  She's got a dietary condition that, if left untreated results in explosive (not an exaggeration) diarrhea (sorry for the visual) along with arthritis in both hips and synthetic ligaments in both knees.  If someone had told me ten years ago that I would spend THAT much money on a dog I'd have laughed in their face.  Now?  How could I not?

At this point in her life, Sophie isn't really up for long walks.  Or moving rapidly.  Instead, we take four or five walks of maybe a half-mile or so over the course of the day when I'm home.  These walks take anywhere from thirty minutes to an hour.  Allow me to try and reproduce a typical timeline-

9:03 Leave the house.
9:04 Sniff the neighbor's yard.
9:07 Sniff the neighbor's yard three houses down.  Also, lose interest in her squeaky ball.
9:12 Take care of business.
9:17 Lay down in the shade.

9:24 Sniff the shrubbery on the corner.
9:25 Lay down in the shade.

9:31 Cross the street.
9:40 "Visit" with one of our neighbors and her Black Lab Junie.
9:46 Gaze longingly at Junie's kiddie pool while I tell her no.
9:55 Lay down in the shade.  Roll around in something disgusting.

10:02 Grudgingly go back into the house.

Due in large part to our walk routine, we have met most of our neighbors.  In fact, more neighbors know her name than mine.  And I'm not even joking.

She's been good for me in so many ways, getting me up and out of the house so many times when that wasn't necessarily something I was prepared to do.  Sometimes like this.


Subtle, no?

Over the years, she has offered no solid advice yet listens patiently whenever I need to vent.  To say I've been through a lot in the last ten years is kind of an understatement.  And Sophie has been there for me every step of the way.  She regularly brings a smile to my face.

Sometimes when I need it most.

Let's go for a walk.

Peace

2 comments: