Saturday, March 12, 2016

"Ohhh, ohhh, ohhh! They're going the wrong way!"

I believe this is a first.  I mean, I've alluded to my job in the past, but I'm fairly certain I've never actually written about an event, or series of events, at work.

And then, today, or rather, this morning, happened.

Allow me to flesh this one out a little.

We've had this particular new guy for, oh, about three months.  He's on a rotation through our stations, trying to get a little bit from each house while being evaluated by each of our Lieutenants.  It's what we do with our new guys now.  In attempt to be diligent in keeping the cream of the crop of new guys (a generic term, btw.  I mean no offense to any non-male persons that might be skimming through this mess) our bosses felt it would be better to let all of the officers on a shift determine the relative value of our new people (better?) rather than the traditional way of keeping them with one shift for their entire probationary period.

Clear as mud?

Back to the matter at hand...

I wasn't sure what to make of, oh, let's call him, Seinfeld.  I mean, he seemed fine, but typically new guys come in really nervous and old guys tend to intimidate them (without even trying) and as a result it takes a little while to get a read on how they'll be, both on the job and in real life, you know?

He was quiet at first, did all the "new guy" duties and started fitting in with the rest of us.  In time, we learned that, in addition to being #1 on our list, he was also valedictorian (pretty sure that's the first time I've ever dropped THAT one up in here) of his paramedic class.  Bright kid, hard worker, good, albeit raw, skills.  I think he'll be fine, I really do.  He'll be here for the next thirty-three (I know, right? 3frickin3) years and I (that's 2048 to you and me) think he's got (if you're scoring at home *shout out to Patrick and Olbermann* or even if you're alone, I'll turn 90 years old the same year) a really bright future here.

Of course the journey from point A to point B is not without it's bumps and bruises...

I may have mentioned it before, I've been fortunate over the years to work with some pretty talented cooks here, and that's no small feat.  Of course I had nothing to do with the selection of same, just dumb luck, but my belly has been well-cared for pretty much my entire career.

Today, when we got back from shopping Seinfeld asked how he could help in food prep and was tasked with cutting up the mangoes for salsa (pork tacos for lunch, homemade pizzas for dinner)(And yes, they'll both be as good as they sound #sorrynotsorry).  I asked if he had ever cut up a mango before.  In case you're unfamiliar, they can be quite tricky and not a little treacherous if you don't know the trick.  The fruit itself feels a tad bit slimy and the pit is ginormous.  If you don't give yourself a stable base, it's easy to inadvertently cut yourself.  And I didn't want that to happen.  So I asked.

The reply?

"Sure I've cut them before"

Unconvinced by his tone I continued "Describe to me how you do it."

"You just peel it"

"Really?  You just peel it?  How?"

So one of the other guys showed him how to cut up the mango to avoid injury.

This is just one of the many adventures we've had in our brief time together.  I'm not sure if he thinks I'm always messing with him (I'm not, I'm too old for that nonsense) or if he thinks I'm enfeebled.  I tend to support the latter theory.

This morning, for example.  We got an ambulance call first thing this morning, at an address that has two different ways in.  Like, completely different.  Like you can literally make a right turn out of the firehouse or a left turn out of the firehouse and, other than the street the address is on, never use the same street until you arrive at the address.

Typically, I choose to go left, through the neighborhoods.  It's windy (not the atmospheric condition, I mean it has many turns) and you have to pay attention (or spend a few years in this station learning the streets) or you'll make a wrong turn and nobody ever likes that, but imho, it's the fastest way to get where we needed to go.  So, since I've spent over half of my twenty three years at this station, I don't even give it a second thought, I turn left and drive to the call.

As we were leaving, I was going to wait and let the ambulance go first, but they hesitated briefly so I pulled out of the station and turned left, the ambulance following behind us.  We drove to the scene, took care of business and started back to the station.  Until we caught another one.  We got back to quarters a little while later and soon after, the ambulance returned from the hospital.  Seinfeld's partner du' jour said "He thought you didn't know where you were going."

See the title for an exact quote.

Sigh.

 Can I just add here that while I'm crafting this fine piece of literature we've got "The Fast and the Furious 83" on in the background (a story for another day) and let me just say I'm shocked, SHOCKED that none of those movies have ever won an Oscar for Best Picture.

But I digress...

Seinfeld is the first one we've hired that was born after I started here.  Don't think that doesn't sting a little.  And, as I approach the end of my career, I feel I have much to add to the education of these still-wet-behind-the-ears new people.

Just as they have much to offer me.

Like an almost limitless stream of amusement.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment