Saturday, August 22, 2015

Diamonds

As I was driving home from work this morning, after a couple of button punches, the David Bowie classic "Changes" came on my radio.  

And it made me stop and think a bit.  I've (obvs) mentioned changes in (random southern-speak alert!) these here parts in the past a time or two and will again in the future, I'm sure.  But today I've got changes on my mind...

We were sitting at the kitchen table this morning chatting with today's shift pre shift change, when Kevin mentioned today was Rochelle's last day in the ER.  Ro is one of my favorite people on the planet and she's been a regular presence across the street for over ten years.   I had no idea she was leaving, apparently mention was made of it at one of our paramedic training sessions recently but I must have missed that one.  So, on the way home, I swung by the ER to say goodbye and fare-thee-well to a dear person.  

Ro was standing at the Charge Nurse station when I walked up behind her, put my arm around her and asked "why was I not consulted on this?"

She jumped back, got a big smile, immediately followed by a sad look on her face.  

I felt the same way.

She's moving up to one of the floors, she said it was time, and I wished her well.  She was on the verge of getting emotional (me too) but managed to laugh it off and said she'll be down to visit from time to time.

Rochelle is an outstanding nurse with a great sense of humor and those of us that had the joy of interacting with her will miss her.  And I'm sure every one of us wish her nothing but the best.

This next point, in itself is no change because I've hated winter for quite some time now.  But I've found myself looking at retirement locales recently.  

Warm(er) weather locales.  

As in, not northern Illinois locales.

Today I checked out my pension calculations.  I was curious what it would be if I left in two years, three years and two months.  

Yikes.

I'm not leaving in two months.  I don't think.  I'd really like to stick around long enough for the Heir to the Throne to come to work with me and do a ride-along and he's supposed to be 18 (again, yikes! 18? yeesh) for that to happen.  I think.  Maybe 17.  Maybe I'll get confused in a couple years and think he's 18 when he's really only 17...  

Stranger things have happened.  Just sayin...

Speaking of which, I've been on a small roll of late in that I've been "on time" for the last few appointments and/or meetings and/or gatherings of one sort or another.  This is no small accomplishment for me.  I think I can blame these on genealogy as much as anything.  At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it.  My family tends to not be the most punctual, a habit that makes some crazy.  Sure often times it's no big deal, but it can be construed as a sign of disrespect too, I get that.  And that part of it bothers me.  I'd like being punctual to be a bigger part of who I am for that reason.

Now, I wrote all that drivel to get to this...

According to the Boy Child (I believe in citing my sources whenever practical) two percent of all babies are born on their due date.  Two percent.  For all you non-math types out there, that's not many.  You're welcome.  

Grandchild number 5, granddaughter number 2 (that's one and the same person btw) arrived yesterday morning at 7:38, on her due date.  She obviously gets her promptness from her Mother's side of the family.  I have decided her nome de plume will henceforth be some derivative of-

Diamond

Clever, no?  

And so, my little jewel (not to be confused with the Jewels) let me tell you a little about the family you've been delivered to.

We're a little off...

I mean we're all (well, mostly all) nice enough, but certainly not without our quirks.  The aforementioned timeliness being one of them.  We tend to be smart alecky.  We tend to not always think things through as well as we should.  We sometimes look good advice right square in the eye and plow right ahead with our own ideas.  And we sometimes (maybe more often than we should) don't pay enough attention to the feelings of those closest to us.  

I'm not particularly proud of that last one.  It's caused a lot more pain than it ever should have.  But since you're coming into this hot mess of a family, you need to know these things so you can avoid them.  

That's not to say we have no redeeming qualities either.  

They're just not as much fun to list.

And so, my little Diamond, before the wheels fall off this thing, let me just say I can't wait to meet you today.  My heart has been filled with such joy since your Daddy sent the text announcing you were here that I have a hard time finding the right words and for some strange reason I keep getting stuff in my eyes since then too.  

Must be awfully dusty around here.

Or something.

Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment