Wednesday, July 6, 2011

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

John Lennon wrote those words over 30 years ago and I've gotten more mileage out of them than, probably, any other person on the planet.

I used them on my kids when they were younger and things didn't go their way. And I certainly used them on myself from 2003 when Caitlin was killed through the time I was learning (am learning?) to live with Diane's death. It really is a profound description of what life is, the apparently random nature of it, anyway.

I thought about it again today, as I was going through my office at home packing things up and throwing things out, for reasons that will appear in a later post. And I've uncovered a ton of grief-related material, most from the time of Caitlin's death.

One item, a book entitled "Dear Parents A Collection of Letters to Bereaved Parents" published by the Centering Corporation, contains, among others, a letter by Candy Lightner. She founded MADD after her 13 year-old daughter Cari was killed by a drunk driver. This led me to a Wikipedia search of Ms. Lightner which, in turn, led me to this video
Please take a few minutes out of your day to watch this video.

And when you're done, send it to your friends, even the ones you don't really care for all that much. And ask them all to take a few minutes to watch it.

And then, next time you're planning to go out and live it up, think about this video.

And take a few more minutes to plan your evening just a little more.

Make arrangements to stay where you party.

Take a cab/limo.

Take public transportation.

Have a designated driver. Heck, BE a designated driver.

Here's the deal... I don't care if you drink yourself stupid every. single. night. Really, I don't. You have that right. What I DO care about is that you don't get behind the wheel of a car after you've been drinking. Because you don't have the right to do that. No-one has the RIGHT to do that. Don't put another family through what my family has been through.

No comments:

Post a Comment